Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Companions on the journey.

I don't really have a clue as to what REALLY made me feel up to the challenge of regaining my sanity health a few weeks ago.  I'm just glad I did.

I thought I'd introduce you to a few of the leading stars in my drama.

The first would be something I purchased.  From an infomercial no less.

While in Florida this past February (the WORST time of my life I might add), I couldn't sleep one night, turned on the tube and caught someone talking about combining fast carbs/slow carbs/ and protein to keep blood sugar in check.  My first thought was 'some doctor show about diabetes' as the info was basically verbatim what I'd learned in my diabetes class last summer.  THEN it started in with the 'lose all the weight you want and never give up the foods you love!' rigamaroll, and I realized it was a dreaded infomercial.  I watched for awhile, kinda wishing it could be true, then moved on to another channel and forgot about it.

After getting home something reminded me of the infomercial and I decided to go to the website to read more.  It basically put all the information I'd received in class into a step-by-step, positive program, so I decided I'd give it a shot....afterall, they have an 8 week money back guarantee (you're not surprised?).

When my package arrived, I threw myself into learning the program which was easy as it's done step-by-step...a 21 day 'makeover' where you learn a new skill for healthy eating each day.  It came with a daily journal with boxes to check off  (drink your water?  take your suppliments?  do some exercise? etc.)  It all came in a handy-dandy notebook binder too.  It included places to write daily positive affirmations, how to truly measure weight loss (body fat vs. lean body mass, inches vs. pounds), and is filled with tips and tricks.  You even get a daily audio peptalk via CDs.  I've always rebelled at programs that are rigid, but I figured I needed to do some major changes with some major handholding until it became second-nature.  I threw myself into it, did everything I was asked to do to the best of my ability, and so far, I'm really pleased.  It's not second nature yet, but it's very doable, and it definitely keeps my sugars in check.

I've not felt deprived or hungry.  In fact, I sometimes have to prepare food when I'm not feeling particularly hungry....my modes of hunger have always been: stuffed to the gills or ravenous.  I'm learning what 'comfortably full' and 'time to fill the tank' truly feel like.  I eat every 2-3 hours beginning 30 minutes after arising until an hour before I go to bed.  I have a protein/fast carb/slow carb for 3 meals a day, and 100-200 calorie snacks inbetween.  I'm eating ALL DAY LONG.  Portions seemed small at first, but I realized early on that I'm full with those portions, and if I'm not completely 'mentally' full, I can have a snack in 2 hours.

I've been at it for 4 weeks now, and I feel this is something I can do for a lifetime.  The hardest part for me is having food available when I need it, and remembering to eat at least every 3 hours.  I'm not a cook and I don't like cooking, so preparing meat has been a challenge.  I feel balanced when I eat enough protein (at every meal and many of my snacks)....so, that means I'm gonna have to find strategies for keeping cooked meat portions in the fridge at all times!

Here's a sample of what a full day of meals looks like:
Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1/4 cup skim milk and 1/2 a banana + 2 turkey sausage patties
OR 1 egg + 2 whites omelet with veggies and 2 TBLS low fat cheese

Snack:  1/2 a whey protein smoothie with 6oz frozen blueberries and other 1/2 of banana

Lunch:  Big Salad with can of tuna dumped in and a couple TBLS low fat vinagrette + an apple
         
Snack:  28 almonds

Dinner:  piece of meat, steamed veggies, rice or potato

Snack: low fat ice cream sandwich or other 1/2 of smoothie

Snack (if I'm staying up really late) 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese

I'm currently trying to stay away from grains (except for the oatmeal and rice).  I'm also limiting processed foods and refined sugar but not in a nazi-ish way.  I've done some serious looking into Paleo diets too, but mostly for meat recipes :)

Wanna know what this plan is?  It's called The Food Lovers Fat Loss Plan.  I like it. I only twitch a little bit when I visit the site due to the informercial-ishness of it all.  But I think it's founded on good nutritional science, and leaves a lot of room for tweaking.

Next post will be about my fitness routine, which is minimal.  So there.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Girl, that's just about the way I've been eating the last 14 months -

    ReplyDelete
  2. the way I'd look at that whole finding the "new food plan" was that God was touching your life through a cheesy infomercial.... and I love how it's made a good impact on your life.... I am heading to W.W. and sure pray I can/will stick to it.... I have 30 # of weight to lose..... Praying for the birth of your grand baby.... exciting times......

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for being back.

    Maybe getting crap in order is in the air? My eating better is now almost 3 weeks in, and I've lost about 7 pounds. I lost weight before (after my last was born), but this time it's proving to be much harder. 35 year old metabolism doesn't come close to resembling a 27 year old nursing mama, and now since I'm working, I can't eat between 9:30-2:30. Just obstacles though, right? WE CAN DO THIS.

    Did I mention yay for being back???

    ReplyDelete

I'm all ears! Er, eyes.